Tuesday 22 May 2012

Downward facing dog - one of my favourite yoga positions

I have not been in downward facing dog pose since I left UBS for my sabbatical back last August (at least outside of the bedroom that is).  I am not sure what it is about the position but I feel great when I am in it.  It really stretches out my hamstrings and calms me down.

Today I restarted my yoga classes at UBS.  The teacher is the same one as before and the people in the class were mostly the same ones I remember, although not as many of them now it seems.  The fitness class schedule is changing weekly at the moment, and some people may have forgotten when yoga had due to take place.  On the timetable last week, yoga was meant to be at 1pm, but I later found out it had been changed to 12.30pm and the timetable had not been updated.  Luckily there is a mailing list you can join to be informed of changes or cancellations and I have been added to this list now.  This week we were informed via the mailing list that the class had been changed to 12.45pm.

In spite of all the timetable changes, it was a lovely class and I was happy to be doing yoga again after such a long break.  I did several classes of hot yoga before I left to Morocco, but hot yoga and standard yoga are rather different.  Hot yoga is more of an intense workout but not as relaxing as standard yoga I find.  I would like to do both simultaneously and get the combined benefits.  The only issue with the hot yoga is that getting to the class is not as easy as attending the standard yoga at UBS.

In general I was able to stretch much further than I could last year, with the exception of my hamstrings.  The range of motion in my shoulders and back has increased (most likely through Pilates) and there are some moves where my belly used to get in the way before, where it no longer can (since I don't have a belly now).  The endurance factor is not quite there yet and there were times when I could not hold the poses for the full duration, and needed to rest.  That should come rather quickly from attending the sessions regularly from now on.  My body awareness has definitely increased.

Overall verdict: thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment