Thursday 26 January 2012

One hour of Pilates followed by 32km of running. Today was tough!

The long miles may be starting to tire me out.  Either that or it was the 1 hour of Pilates beforehand, combined with my run, that tired me out.  Whichever way it was, I didn't find today's run as easy as the others.  On top of that the tongue on my left shoe has started poking in my shin as I run, so the front of my left shin is now rather bruised and sore.

I was pleasantly surprised how the Pilates went though, as I haven't done it since August last year.  It was clear to me that I have lost some strength in my powerhouse, but I did much better than I had imagined I would.  From now until the Marathon des Sables I am going to do Pilates twice a week.  Once a week is good but twice a week will give me that extra core strength that I am looking for.

My run took me from the Pilates studio up the Uetliberg and along to Felsenegg.  From there I continued to Buchenegg and then down the hill to the Sihl.  I followed the Sihl until I reached Adliswil and then I headed up and over the hill to Kilchberg.  From Kilchberg I ran along the lake until I reached Bellevue and then I headed along the Bellevue side of the lake to just past Tiefenbrunnen station.  From there it was back through Seefeld and then home.  Distance wise I timed it perfectly and my 32km target was reached a few hundred metres before the apartment, giving me a couple of minutes to walk and cool down.

Up on top of the Uetliberg there is a light dusting of snow and you have to be a little careful with your footing on the paths.  It is quite pretty, but it was melting fast so I expect it will be gone by tomorrow.  There is a sledging route on the Uetliberg, but there is nowhere near enough snow for that to be open.  Compared to last year this seems to be quite a mild winter so far, not that I am complaining.

It will be interesting to see how Saturday's final 32km run goes, but I have tomorrow to rest before I attempt that.  It will also give the bruising on my shin a chance to go a bit.  The total weekly mileage to date is 80 miles or 128km.

No comments:

Post a Comment