Monday 25 July 2011

Something to try next time you are running

I read the other day that leaning forward whilst running can help you to run faster provided you don't break the lean at the hip.  Whilst I was out jogging at lunchtime I thought I would try it out.  As I started to lean forward my pace started to increase without any additional effort.

Whilst I found I was running faster, I also found that I was getting tired quicker.  Once you get used to it I am sure it becomes much easier to maintain, but this being my first time my body was not accustomed to the lean.  The place I felt it most was in my core.

I think to test it out properly I need to time myself over a set distance running as I normally do, and then a few days later time myself on the same course but this time deliberately focussing on learning forward.  This is one of the reasons why I think it may be worthwhile joining a running club when I get back from South America - I may pick up little tips like this that can make an instant difference to my running times.  Not just a club where they go out jogging a couple of times per week, but one where they have track sessions and get in coaches from time to time to help their members improve their running technique and efficiency.  If anyone can recommend a good one in Zurich I would be happy to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment