Saturday 12 March 2011

Negrita's best running distance is not 10k it seems

Negrita, my running partner
Last night I wanted to go running but I didn't want to go too far, as I had a bit of a headache, so I chose to do a nice short 10k.  As Anny was out I decided to take Negrita, my four legged running partner, with me.  I knew that she can sprint faster than me and that she can quite happily jog along for 2 hours next to me so I thought she would be fine.

Obviously the 10k is so short that you don't really start off slow.  I can't remember the last time I ran a 10k and timed myself so I wasn't really sure how long it would take.  I saw on the Concept2 forum that a lot of runners mentioned their 10k running time was very similar to their 10k rowing time.  Based on this I was aiming for around 42 minutes.

The route I chose was not ideal for doing a fast time.  The first km is uphill and there are several major junctions where you need to wait for the traffic lights.  Negrita also chose to go to the toilet when I was in full swing around 4km in (next time I do a timed run I will have to make sure she goes to the toilet first).

After the first few km the pace was too high for Negrita it seemed and she started falling behind.  As a result I had to ease off my pace.  Then in the last 2km she made a comeback and was slightly ahead of me.  All in all we finished in a mediocre time of around 49 minutes.  This one should be easy to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment