Sunday 13 February 2011

The snow may be gone in Einsideln but it isn't in Stueden

As you all know, cross country skiing this season has become my weekend hobby.  So I was getting sightly disappointed that I haven't done it for the last 3 weeks and decided this weekend do or die, I would do it.

I checked the snow report in Stueden last night and all looked good.  27km/27km were open and the condition of the tracks was described as good.  Stueden isn't the easiest place to get to as the connections are not so often, but it only takes 1 hour and 20 minutes from Zurich if you do make all the connections.

I arrived at Stueden just before midday and by the time I hired the equipment I was out on the track by 12.15pm.  After a few minutes of stretching I set off and I wasn't sure how well I would do after a 3 week break.  A few minutes after setting off though I realised that the 3 week break had done me no harm at all, and if anything my balance was better.  Maybe it is the combination of extra pilates, yoga and rowing that is starting to strengthen my core and improve my balance or maybe it is magic - I will never know which.

In total I did about 15km which is not my furthest to date, but I only stopped a couple of times and this certainly is an improvement.  In the last few km though I realised that 15km would be enough for today, especially as I am still in the phase of trying to combat my runners knee, and now I am back safe and warm in Zurich.  I don't know if Anny's spanish side is starting to influence me, but I am just about to take a siesta.  Adios amigos y hasta luego, Pablo.

No comments:

Post a Comment